Automatic Throttle System CRJ AutoPower®
The Fourth Axis
On the most fundamental level, flying is about controlling three axis: pitch, yaw, and roll. However, in today’s dynamic cockpit environment, there is a fourth axis to control…speed. The mission of AutoPower®, the Automatic Throttle System (ATS) from Safe Flight Instrument, LLC is the precise management and control of thrust during all phases of flight.
Safe Flight pioneered the development of automatic throttle technology, which is now standard equipment on all production Boeing and Airbus transport aircrafts. Today, Safe Flight brings this level of cockpit sophistication to the world’s most popular regional jet…the Bombardier CRJ.
AutoPower® delivers significant flight performance advantages resulting in reduced crew workload and increased situational awareness.
Precise Speed Control
AutoPower® is an automatic throttle system designed to provide smooth, engine-synchronized thrust management with precise engine target setting and airspeed control, from takeoff-to-touchdown. AutoPower® manages thrust to N1 targets for specific FMC modes and speed control. It delivers improved climb performance, smooth and precise speed control, increased situational awareness, reduced crew workload, greater passenger comfort, quieter cabin environment, increased payload/range potential, and fuel savings.
AutoPower® manages engine thrust through the aircraft’s thrust levers, keeping the pilot in the loop. When the system changes thrust, the thrust levers move. Overriding the throttles never takes more force than moving the throttles when AutoPower® is not engaged.
Flight crew transition to AutoPower® operation is intuitive. The system automatically controls thrust during takeoff, climb, cruise, approach, landing, and go-around. AutoPower® continuously monitors N1 thrust limits from the FMC to provide protection from engine exceedance. It also integrates seamlessly with the AFCS vertical modes while automatically capturing the selected speed, Mach number, or target N1.
- Safe Flight’s automatic throttle systems are installed in over nine-thousand commercial, corporate, and military aircraft.
- Takeoff-to-touchdown automated thrust and speed control through dual servo thrust lever positioning for optimized profile performance, reduced crew workload, and increased passenger comfort.
- Integrated with the FMC to provide continuous engine exceedance protection, VNAV speed control, and automated thrust management.
- Precise, smooth, and synchronized N1 speed control regardless of maneuver, turbulence, or ATC-speed requests.
- AoA-referenced speed protection.
- Intuitive operation–fully integrated with existing avionics displays/controls.
- Cockpit uniformity with fleet.
- Takeoff-to-Touchdown Precise ATS Control of Speed/Thrust.
- Required Time of Arrival Speed Management.
- Safety – AoA & N1 Flight Envelope Speed Limit Protection.
- Smooth, Pilot-in-the-Loop, Thrust Lever Control.
- Precise Speed Control.
- Full-time Engine Synchronization.
- Improved Climb Performance.
- IAS/Mach/N1 Speed Management.
- Fuel Savings.
- Reduces Crew Workload.
- Provides Real-Time Power Limits for Takeoff, Go-Around, Climb, and Cruise.
- Automatically Provides Best Climb.
- Eliminates Manual Thrust Lever Adjustment to Compensate for Fuel Burn.
- Increased Passenger Comfort.
- Cockpit Uniformity with Fleet.
Enhances Flight Safety
- Enhances Situational Awareness.
- Provides Stabilized Approach and Landing.
- Incorporates AoA-Referenced Minimum Speed Protection.
- Study Indicates Potential Fuel Savings.
- Extends Range.
- Increases Passenger/Payload.
- Improves Engine Limit Adherence.
- Reduces Unscheduled Engine Maintenance.